Essilor Debuts Varilux Sport Lenses To Eyecare Professionals And Patients
By Essilor News
DALLAS – (May 29, 2008) – Today Essilor of America, Inc., the nation's leading manufacturer of optical lenses, debuts Varilux Sport lenses, a new product line designed to provide patients with natural and precise vision for specific sporting activities.
Varilux Sport lenses are the first progressive lenses designed specifically for use during sports. These lenses answer the specific dynamic visual requirements necessary for demanding activities. The Varilux Sport lens design offers an extra large far distance field, instant intermediate vision and a stabilized near vision area.
Varilux Sport lenses are digitally surfaced progressive lenses available in six different colored versions, allowing patients to choose the best lenses for their desired sport. This new family of high-performance lenses is made of polycarbonate, the best material for sporting activities due to its impact resistance, lightness and protection from damage due to ultraviolet (UV) light.
“Independent research shows that more than 56 percent of adults participate in some physical activity at least one time per week, from walking to golfing to hunting,” said Carl Bracy, vice president of marketing for Essilor of America. “This sizeable segment presented Essilor with an opportunity to deliver high-performance lenses to active presbyopes, ones that are specifically designed to meet individual needs.”
Varilux Sport lenses improve visual performance during sporting activities in the following ways:
x With its unique exclusive design, it is the first progressive lens designed specifically for dynamic vision
x Filtering blue light, the visible radiation that creates a veiling glare, and focusing in front of the retina to create a blurred image
- Adjusting lens color and transmission to usual light conditions
- Varilux Sport lenses come systematically with Crizal SunTM technology
- Only Crizal Sun prevents backside reflections while preserving the original color of the sun lens and delivering on the legendary scratch resistance and ease of cleaning of Crizal lenses
Beginning July 15, 2008, Essilor is proud to offer eyecare professionals (ECPs) and patients Varilux Sport lenses in the following product specifications:
- Material : Airwear® 1.59
- Options : Fixed Tints and Polarized
- Range: - 8.00 to +6.00, Cyl. 4, Add 0,75 to 3,50
- Diameters : Mini 60/65, Maxi 70/75 depending on version Coatings : Comes systematically with Crizal Sun
Varilux Sport lenses are available in the following product colors:
- Breva: Breva yellow polarized category 2 lenses offer 30 percent light transmission, eliminating surface glare from roads and water and sharpening vision, especially at dawn, twilight or in overcast conditions. These lenses are ideal for fishing and road biking.
- Squamish: Squamish orange fixed tint category 2 lenses offer 37 percent light transmission, which minimizes the loss of depth perception and eliminates diffused light, optimizing contrast for extremely sharp vision. These lenses are ideal for target sports, such as shooting, hunting and archery.
- Santa Ana: Santa Ana orange brown fixed tint category 2 lenses offer 24 percent light transmission and eliminate diffused light, optimizing contrast - specifically on green surfaces. These lenses are ideal for golf and tennis.
- Skiron: Skiron brown polarized category 3 lenses offer 12 percent light transmission and eliminate reflected glare, significantly improving contrast in bright conditions and protecting the eyes from harsh conditions. These lenses are ideal for water sports, driving, running and walking.
- Lombard: Lombard brown fixed tint category 3 lenses offer 12 percent light transmission and maintain good color perception and natural perception of surroundings, minimizing visual fatigue. These lenses are ideal for skiing, mountain biking and hiking.
- Williwaw: Williwaw dark brown fixed tint category 4 lenses offer five percent light transmission and drastically cut light intensity while keeping vision comfortable - even in the most extreme environments. These lenses are ideal for high-altitude activities, such as mountain climbing and glacier skiing. Lenses in the Williwaw color family are not recommended for driving.
For more information on Varilux Sport lenses, please contact your Essilor representative or visit
Essilor is the leading manufacturer of optical lenses in the United States and is the market leader in progressive, high-index and anti-reflective coated lenses. A pioneer in the development and production of ophthalmic lenses, Essilor employs more than 8,500 people throughout North America. Essilor manufactures optical lenses under the Varilux®, Crizal®, DEFINITY® Thin&Lite®, and other Essilor brand names. Essilor Laboratories of America (ELOA) is the largest, and most trusted, optical lab network in the U.S. and offers a wide choice of services and lens brands, including Essilor premium lenses, to eye care professionals across the nation. Essilor of America, Inc. (Essilor) is a subsidiary of Paris-based Essilor International, S.A., a publicly held company traded on the Euronext Paris stock exchange (Reuters: ESSI.PA).
# # #
Varilux, Crizal, Alizé, Physio and DEFINITY are registered trademarks and Varilux Sport is a trademark of Essilor International. Thin&Lite is a registered trademark of Essilor of America, Inc.